NEW DELHI: India again slammed China for blocking the proposal to designate Jaish-e-Muhammed deputy chief Abdul Rauf Asghar as global terrorist saying he had been proscribed under Indian and US laws already, and so the “technical hold” on the proposed UN ban on such a wanted terrorist was “most uncalled for”.
The MEA said India will continue to pursue its principled position of bringing these terrorists to justice, including through the UNSC 1267 Sanctions Regime.
“We note with regret that a “technical hold” has been placed on the listing proposal for Abdul Rauf Asghar. It is unfortunate that when it comes to our collective battle against terrorism, the international community has been unable to speak in one common voice,” said ministry of external affairs spokesperson Arindam Bagchi. He recalled the remarks by India’s Permanent Representative to UN in New York Ruchira Kamboj, during a UNSC Open Debate on August 9, in which she had said there should be no double standards in dealing with terrorists.
“…As you are all aware, Abdul Rauf Asghar, the Deputy Chief of Jaish i Mohammed, which is a UN proscribed entity, was actively involved in terrorist attacks such as hijacking of Indian airlines IC 814 in 1998, as well the terror attacks on Indian Parliament in 2001 and the terror attacks at Indian Army camp in Kathua in 2014 and at IAF base in Pathankot in 2016,” said Bagchi.