Organizers of the Montreal Pride Festival have cancelled today’s parade.
They cited a lack of security staff for the parade route, adding that the decision was made in collaboration with Montreal police.
Events taking place at the Esplanade du Parc olympique from 2 p.m., including the closing show with Pabllo Vittar, will go on as as planned.
Tens of thousands of people were expected to attend today’s parade.
Simon Gamache, executive director of Montreal Pride, said until this morning organizers thought the parade could take place.
“It’s heartbreaking,” Gamache said.”We hope that we’re able to organize something else in the next few weeks, few months to replace what we unfortunately had to cancel today.”
Although Montreal Pride held several events earlier this week, Gamache says the limited number of staff and volunteers was always an issue.
“It was really always close every day,” he said. “It went well, but it was not easy behind the scenes.”
He says the organization will meet with its financial partners in the coming days.
At a news conference Sunday, Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante said she was shocked to learn of the parade’s cancellation.
“If we had been made aware of the lack of staff or anything else, would have put in the necessary energy,” she said.
“My frustration this morning is realizing that it seems there were decisions made, but we were never informed, and that’s disappointing,” she said.
More to come